Keeping track of your DD214!

I have been amazed by the number of veterans that have come into the office and  provide a pristine original discharge paper (DD214).   Those DD214s were  sealed and only brought out of the safe for special occasions.   More often, service men and women walk into the office having lost their discharge papers or they were distroyed in a house fire.  If you follow these simple tips, you will ALWAYS have a copy of your DD214 close by.

If you do not have a copy of your DD214

Option 1 – Come into the VAC Office located at 135 N. Schuyler Ave, Kankakee.  It just takes a couple minutes to fill out a form and we will have your papers back within 3 weeks.

Option 2 – Go to and request your DD214 on your own.  You can request it through an online request or print the form and have it mailed to your house.

Once you have your DD214

Step 1 – Go to the Kankakee County Recorder’s Office located at 189 E. Court St, Kankakee to have it recorded.  Once it is recorded, it will be on file forever.  It will NOT be seen by the public and the only people to get copies are the veteran and staff of the VAC.  Go to  to learn more about the recorders office.

Step 2 – Come to the VAC and allow us to scan it into our system.  That allows us to create an electronic file that includes your military service.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s